Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Making superheros

There probably comes a time in every mothers life where they have to come up with a superhero costume. It wasn't my daughter but my nieces who asked for them - one wanted Wonder Woman and the other wanted to be Bat Girl. We found some foam bat masks in the shops so I just needed to make a cape for Bat Girl. For the wonder woman outfit I made a cape, 2 arm bands, a crown and a blue sparkly mini skirt. My daughter is modelling the WW outfit in the next picture and is a bit short for it all. I used the Curly Pops tutorial for the crown shape (Karen - thanks for heading me that way!) I got a lot of inspiration from the crafster website which provided an array of different WW costumes that people had made and I could pick and choose ideas from that. I fashioned the cape myself - I cut one large piece of fabric to use for the cape then cut a narrow strip (at least 4 inches wide) to make the collar and tie (its basically a thick piece of home made binding). I then inserted the gathered material into part of the collar and stitched the collar and ties in one go.

Check out the finished costumes below!


Massive thanks to a very wonderful lady at the fabric shop who gave us the end of the bolt for no extra charge which meant I had enough fabric to make an extra black cape for Boo! After all the excitement with the other girls, she wouldn't have wanted to miss out and I'm sure we can think of MANY different uses for a black cape!

Monday, June 7, 2010

A-line skirt set

An A-line skirt:

I've actually had some fun with the tracing paper (AKA baking paper roll) and drafted this skirt based on skirts DD already has. I've made some amendments to my pattern and should be able to make another one much better next time. I'm surprised at how easy it was to work it out.

The skirt completes a set with the matching appliqued tee:

Sunday, June 6, 2010

My new bag

I put together this bag last night. I was finished by 9.45pm which was very exciting! Its a simple box shape on the bottom with a sash and handles. I was worried about doing the top stitching but my new sewing machine worked perfectly going through all the many layers of this bag without a hitch.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Progress shot of new bag

The fabric has been chosen and cut out - denim and Wildwood and Michael Miller Dazzle Daisy as the lining (the greens/lime match perfectly).